With spring around the corner, enjoy this treat for an easy dessert featuring lemons and fresh spring strawberries! The cake can be made baked a day ahead and stored at room temperature and then glazed with the strawberries for service. We adapted this from a recipe found in Bon Appetit Magazine that used apricot preserves … we think fresh berries are a much tastier glaze.
Spring Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake Serves 12
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
Finely grated zest of 8 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped 1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour Bundt pan; set aside.
2. Whisk baking powder, salt, and 3 cups flour in a medium bowl.
3. Combine sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl; using your fingertips, rub together until lemon sugar is well blended. Add 1 cup butter to lemon sugar. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions and occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula, until mixture is light and very fluffy, about 4 minutes longer.
4. Reduce speed to low. Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
5. Bake cake until golden brown and beginning to pull away from sides of pan, 60-65 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto rack; remove pan and let cool completely.
6. Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes until glaze thickens. You can strain glaze into a small pitcher or bowl; discard solids in strainer if desired or just drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Serve extra sauce on side if desired or under plated cut cake piece. Decorate cake with sliced strawberries if desired but not necessary if unstrained sauce used.